Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Serenity Now

Meditation is a simple, fast way to reduce stress.  If there was ever someone who needed stress reduction, it's me.  I was a bit reluctant to attend the Adult Ed workshop on my own, but the course description sounded appealing so I decided to give it a try.  If nothing else, it was an opportunity to escape other demands for 2 hours per week.

I expected something mystical but it really just boiled down to various breathing techniques.  It was a little awkward at first sitting around in half-darkness with a few strange women practicing breathing while listening to soft, new age music, but it turned out to actually be very relaxing.  The basic stuff was pretty easy to master, though the real benefit for me was lending structure to some things I was already doing on my own to relieve stress.  I wound up sleeping more soundly too on the nights I had class, and awakened feeling more refreshed.

If you've never tried Meditation before, I'd highly recommend giving it a try.  It's easy, takes as little or as much time as you're willing to devote, can essentially be done anywhere, and yields surprising results.

Here's a useful link on meditation benefits - Click here

I'm looking forward to my next experiment - Reiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment